Industrial Hygiene controls potential workplace health hazards
“Industrial Hygiene (IH) is a science and art devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, control, and confirmation of protection from those environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well being, or significant discomfort among workers or among citizens of the community.” (AIHA)
There has been an awareness of Industrial Hygiene since antiquity. The environment and its relation to worker health was recognized as early as the fourth century BC when Hippocrates noted lead toxicity in the mining industry. Today, nearly every employer is required to implement the elements of an industrial hygiene and safety, occupational health, or hazard communication program and to be responsive to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the OSHA Act of 1970 (Act) and its regulations. Under the Act, OSHA develops and sets mandatory occupational safety and health requirements applicable to the more than 6 million workplaces in the U.S. OSHA relies on, among many others, industrial hygienists to evaluate jobs for potential health hazards.
Workplace hazard analysis is a key component of Industrial Hygiene
Key to the success of a sound health and safety program in the workplace is a comprehensive hazard analysis. To be effective in recognizing and evaluating on-the-job hazards and recommending controls, industrial hygienists must be familiar with the hazards’ characteristics. Major job risks can include air contaminants, and chemical, biological, physical, and ergonomic hazards.
The workplace analysis includes:
- Identifying potential hazards
- Determining probability of each potential hazard
- Worker exposures and limitations
- Work activities being performed
- Safety features already in place
- Training programs in place
- Personnel protection being utilized
AMRC can provide turnkey Industrial Hygiene services
Our staff of Industrial Hygienists and Certified Safety Professionals are adept at investigating workplace hazards and providing cost effective solutions to clients. We can remedy many of these hazards through our Environmental Contracting or Engineering services. As a Florida Approved Provider, we also offer Environmental Training Classes on many of these hazards so our clients can continue the practices we have established on their behalf.
- Noise Exposure Assessment and Monitoring
- Chemical Exposure Assessment and Monitoring
- Biological Contaminant Exposure Assessment and Monitoring
- General and Detailed Workplace Safety Inspections
- Confined Space Assessments
- Hazardous Chemicals and Waste Storage, Use, and Disposal Inspections
- Worker Physical Exposure Assessments
- Personnel Protective Equipment Fitting, Training, and Assessment
- Risk Management and Assessment
- Safety Plan and Program Development
- Safety Training and Training Program Development
- Emergency Plan Development
Customized Turnkey Environmental Services Are Just A Call Away. We’re Ready For You!
239.936.8266Fort MyersCall Fort Myers Location
941.929.8800SarasotaCall Sarasota Location